Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Ok. So I have never been real drawn to landscape photography...but this person's work is pretty awesome looking. It is obviously photoshopped a bit, but not overly done or cheesy looking. I used to see images like this.....and think it came straight out of the camera, with maybe some adjustment on the color. (Sorry it's so tiny, you can see the full size on his site) But to be honest, I still don't really know how you take a landscape like that without overexposing the sky and underexposing the ground. I have heard of HDR, where you can combine several images...so maybe that is it. I have struggled with that problem many times. A beautiful sky is in the background, but you are trying to photography something darker in the foreground. I know a flash will work with people, but what about a big building, or field? Anyway, I kind of got off on a tangent with that.

I kind of stumbled upon this guy's website and found his pictures to be extremely intriguing. Uwe Eischens is from Germany and from what I read and saw he mainly takes landscapes. After looking through a lot of his pictures and deciding which ones I liked the best, I asked myself why those pictures drew me in more than the others. I decided it was the sky in the pictures that I was so drawn to. It is really hard to capture a sunset and give it justice. I don't think I ever have. The clouds in his images looks so real, distinct, and contrasted. Like I said earlier, I don't know his technique, but I would guess he uses filters, HDR, and blending. What do you think?
If you want to check out some of his work you can go to his blog-
http://www.accessible.de/pixelpost/browse/category/17/1

1 comment:

  1. Good observations about the struggles of dealing with what we call exposure latitude... trying to fit all the lights and darks within the range of film or sensor. Some of his work is definitely HDR. The tell-tale signs are local contrasts / textures that are pumped up into the realm of the surreal. HDR has a place... I find it best when used in a subtle, supportive way. Unfortunately, like every slick, trendy Photoshop technique, there are so many instances of overuse. Its a technique that calls attention to itself. After the novelty wears off, it will be interesting to see what holds up over time.

    ReplyDelete