Sunday, November 15, 2009

Well, I've decided to pull a Stephanie and blog about myself. Haha, just kidding Stephanie. I have loved photography since I was a little kid. I used to arrange my stuffed animals and my animal figurines and take pictures of them with a disposable camera. My dad let me borrow his 35mm Minolta camera when I was about 18 or so and I started playing around with film. I didn't know much at all about film photography when I enrolled in Gay's ART 218. I was introduced to the darkroom, medium format, large format, slide film, and all the darkroom manipulations. I really love film photography and I would love to work with medium format and large format more in the future, however, right now I am really loving digital. I got a Canon 40d last year and I have absolutely loved it. It's really changed photography for me. I love being able to take a picture and immediately check the lighting, focus, etc. With digital, you can actually learn while you're out on the field opposed to waiting for the film to develop. Anyway, needless to say I am really enjoying my digital camera and all that it can do.
I am trying to figure out what I want to do with photography in the future.
I thought at first that I would want to work for a magazine or something along those lines. I don't think I would enjoy that anymore. I really love photographing people. I have really noticed that about myself in the past year. I think that the presence of a person adds so much to a picture. I love finding interesting places around town and seeing how it can be transformed in a photograph. As you know, I love looking at wedding photographers' blogs and looking at all the creative ideas they come up with(poses, props, locations...).I have dappled with the thought of starting a photography business shooting portraits, weddings, and families. I think I would really enjoy it. I have never done a wedding before but I am helping with one at the end of November and also in January, which I am really excited about. There are so many wedding/portraits photographers out right now that I feel like if I did start up a business I need to be different and unique. Offer something that not everyone does. Hmm.... Lots to think about. Not really sure where to start.
Anyway I'd love some feedback... what do you think?

1 comment:

  1. It might be interesting to look back over the history of photography... sort of like what you did with the Kuhn and Penn photos and identify visual trends that you might build into a more artistically inclined wedding photo practice. I think you'll find it inevitable that you will "make it your own", so to speak, provided that you work hard and true.

    Do you think the world needs more of what's already being done in wedding photography, or something truly different, unique, artistic? Working this way might require that you seek more adventurous clients as well...Why not?

    ReplyDelete